The Library, PRAGYAN, remains open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on all working days. The last period of every working day is set apart for office work of the Library and during that period no book is issued or returned.
The library may be closed for sometime on account of stock verification or total clearing during the session which will be notified by the principal.
Rules Common to All Borrowers of Books
- No books shall be taken out of the library without the knowledge of the Librarian. Before making issue it has to be properly entered in the Issue Register and the entry must be attested by the borrower.
- Borrower must examine the condition of the books before they receive. If mutilation is discovered later, presumption will be against the borrower.
- Books shall be returned within the period allowed to a borrower.
- When the date for return of a book falls on an authorised holiday, it may be returned on the succeeding working day.
- All books shall be returned to the library before the college closes for the long vacation or before the date notified for the purpose.
- Books taken out of the library must be returned to the Librarian or the assistant in charge at the counter.
- Making notes or marking shall not be made on library books. Any pictures or pages can’t be removed or disfigured, otherwise the borrower shall be asked to replace the book damaged by him/her.
- Although ordinarily there will be no restriction on the use of books in the library, the Principal has the right to stop issue of certain books to all or some intending borrowers.
- A borrower against whom any dues or other charge is outstanding shall not be allowed to borrow books from the library.
- If a borrower keeps a library book in his or her possession for more than the time allowed for the purpose, no books will be issued to him or her until he returns the books borrowed earlier.
- Those inside the library or its neighbourhood are expected to observe strict silence. The library premises should not be used for any purpose other than the reading of books and periodicals.
- If a book has several parts or volumes which have been bound together, then these should be treated as one book.Spitting, smoking, sleeping inside the library and putting one’s legs on library furniture are strictly forbidden.
- Rude and rough behaviour of intending borrower towards the library staff will be viewed seriously.
- The following is the list showing the maximum number of books issued to borrowers of various classes :
|Members of the teaching staff||10 each|
|Ministerial staff||3 each|
|General students||1 each|
- A book once issued to a borrower may be re-issued to him only when no one else wants to take the book. Books before re-issue shall be presented before the Librarian for necessary entries in the issue register.
- Books of reference, maps, text-books, University calendars, current issues of periodical, courses of study and rare books shall not be issued out of library.
- Any book lost, damaged or defaced by a borrower must be replaced by him. If the book is one of a set or a series and the volume cannot be obtained in single piece, the whole set or series must be replaced at the borrower’s cost. Recovery shall be made at the rate of ten times the cost of the book (G.O.No. DHE/D-20/200/62415/H-E dt. 9.10.01)
- In case, the price of the lost book cannot be ascertained, the borrower should pay as compensation as fixed by the Principal.
- In case of the transfer of the employees or student the documents like L.P.C., T .C., Mark sheets should not be issued unless a clearance certificate is received from the Librarian.
- In case of retirement, financial benefits like sanction of G. P. F. for Final-withdrawals, pension papers should be held up unless the clearance certificate is received from the Librarian.
- A person who borrows books from the library is supposed to go through the library rules and abide by them. Ignorance of the library rules is no excuse for the breach of any rule.
There is no provision for outsiders to borrow library books. However, an outsider, if specially permitted by the Principal can go through the books inside the library only.